MOROCCO PART 1 | MARRAKECH, OUZOUD WATERFALLS & ESSAOUIRA


As you can see from these pictures Morocco is a beautiful country. My friends and I flew into Marrakech where we spent the first four days of our trip. I enjoyed Marrakech but was quite happy to be leaving by the end as it is very busy and polluted. The best part of the city by far was the central Medina which was amazing to walk around at night. The picture above shows the view from one of many roof terraces surrounding the hustle of the food stalls and souks. I found the bartering stressful to begin with but got used to it by the end of the holiday, my advice would be don't buy from the first shop. Look around and work out how much things go for otherwise you'll be ripped off. I found everything in Marrakech was very money orientated, even people who offer to help you with directions expect to be paid which got quite annoying. Another thing I didn't like about the city was the unwanted attention from men my and my friends got wherever we went. It wore me down! However there were a few exceptions where people were really nice, though more outside of the city than in.


Our first day trip from Marrakech was to Ouzoud Waterfalls which were really beautiful and well worth a visit. It cost 300 Dirham for a tourist bus there which is about £20 so really good value as they're about 2 hours away. Once there you'll be approached by guides. Usually on the trip we avoided guides but here you need one to enjoy the day as it is quite a trek to the top and would be stressful without someone showing you the best way to go. It was very relaxed and we stopped to swim in the lakes and also to jump on a raft and be paddled into one of the waterfalls which was really fun. I think it took about 4 hours to walk around the valley in total and it was quite difficult in places so definitely not somewhere for people who don't want to sweat though you do get to stop for lunch! 



Our second day trip was to Essaouira which again cost £300 Dirhams for transport there though this time we stopped off at a tree filled with goats... yes you read that right.. and a place they make argan oil which was quite interesting. Essaouira is an amazing seaside fortification town where bits of Game of Thrones was filmed (omg). We explored the fort and then did a bit of shopping in the little streets in the old part of the town. It was so chilled out compared to Marrakech and much more like what I expected Morocco to be like. If I ever go back I'd stay here and do day trips to the city but you live and learn! The two pictures above and one below are all of Essaouira, it was really difficult to narrow down all the pictures I took as there were many but I think these show of how beautiful it was there.


After the four days we spent in and around Marrakech we caught the overnight train to Tangier which surprisingly was one of my favourite parts of the holiday! We got a sleeper compartment to ourselves which worked out quite well as there are four beds in each compartment and were four of us. You can buy four tickets if you want a compartment to yourself otherwise you end up sharing with other people. It was simple but comfortable and only 250 Dirhams. I'll post the second half of this travel diary (if you can call it that?) very soon so keep an eye out if you're interested!

18 comments:

  1. such a beautiful city
    Kisses
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are of a few different places! Glad you like them x

      Delete
  2. Wow, this place looks beautiful. I've never been to Morocco but it looks like everything I imagined and more. Also how fun to see where some of Game of Thrones was filmed! I would've freaked out.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did freak out a bit when I realised haha! x

      Delete
  3. I went to Morocco a few years ago and loved it, I didn't go to the waterfalls though and they look beautiful! I loved the medina although I did get a lot of hassle and had to wrestle a woman off me who was trying to draw henna on my hand despite me refusing, haha.

    Lucy x- Yellowicing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow haha, glad that didn't happen to me! It's funny that we still loved our trips even though things like that happened! x

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos! I want to go to Morocco so badly

    Laura

    http://thefoxtrails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! It's so cheap, our flights, hotels and other travel came to under £200. But it is really hard to not spend money once you get there! x

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place... Great photos!

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, it looks a beautiful place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, I feel very lucky to have gone there! x

      Delete
  7. You are so lucky! I would love to travel with my Best Friends, but they don't want to even conceive the thought of ever leaving the UK - well it's either that, or they're just broke and wont tell me XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know >< Ooh you have to convince them or go to uni and get student loans like we did haha x

      Delete
  8. Such an amazing place, lucky you! The photos are beautiful :)
    xx Ama

    PHUCKITFASHION

    ReplyDelete