VENICE | ITALY


Somehow during this years Christmas rush I managed to escape my family for a few days and take a little trip to Italy! No idea how I managed that but I'm hoping it'll happen again soon as it was an amazing break from it all though I now do have holiday blues. But thankfully I have a couple of trips planned for 2016 to look forward to which is very exciting (thankyou student loan!). Back to Italy, specifically Venice! I stayed in San Marco which is definitely an ideal location for sightseeing and for generally experiencing the wonderful active atmosphere of the city. The streets are constantly full of people as are the canals full of gondolas and the typical wintery fog Venice gets in December made the whole place feel very mythical and even disney like!



Compared to a city like London there aren't many specific sights you should see in Venice though the Bridge of Sighs, which you can see in the picture above, is definitely one. The history of the bridge is very interesting, it earned it's name from the sighing prisoners who were once transported across to the nearby prison. Another place you have to visit and really can't avoid anyway is San Marco Square. Here you'll find the impressive St Mark's Basilica which is possibly one of the most beautiful cathedrals I've ever seen. You can see the ornate decoration of the roof in the picture below. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go inside so it's made it's way on to my bucket list as I'm sure it will blow me away as much or even more as the outside did!




Another thing worth doing in the main square is going to the top of St Mark's Campanile, the massive tower you wont be able to miss it. The views from there of the whole city and the neighbouring islands are spectacular and I was very lucky that the fog cleared for last two days of my visit as when visibility is poor, the tower closes. A typical tourist attraction is of course the gondolas but I didn't end up going on one as they were very expensive (€80-€100). I regret my decision a bit now which makes me want to go back even more. I enjoyed Peggy Guggenheims collection though that's more of a specific activity for art lovers. Lastly I have to mention the food.. because wow.. it was good. Specifically one restaurant called Aciugheta. I went back three times to this place... the sea food was perfect, the pizza was perfect all the deserts were perfect! The baker and the pastry chef prepare everything fresh and their kitchens are mixed with the dining areas so you can see everything being made. The staff were all super friendly and it wasn't overpriced like many of the restaurants in the city! I can't wait to go back to Italy, definitely discovered a favourite country on this trip! Hope you like the pictures and post!!

16 comments:

  1. Love this post!
    Thank you for sharing, hope you are okay

    Kisses
    x Isabelle | Outfit Van De Dag
    Facebook Page *Click*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to visit there one day! Your pictures are beautiful and Italy has always been top of my list to travel to if I ever am able to go to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go!! And then visit me in England! x

      Delete
    2. Aww I would love to do that!!!

      Delete
  3. Venice is at the top of my list of places to go! The pictures you took are stunning!! Lucky you!
    Glad to see you had a great time :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go even though it's a lot further for you to travel. It will be 100% worth the trip! Thankyou :) x

      Delete
  4. Venice is such a beautiful place, I went there about 10 years ago but would love to return one day! It looks like you had a lovely time.
    Nicola x
    www.thebeautymonologue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so great!

    xoxo
    www.its-dash.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are amazing! It's great that you got to go to an unplanned trip like that, that is a great way to end the year :) Gondolas are so expensive though! I guessed it would be quite pricey, but not so much :o but it must be something to try one day!

    Julia xx
    Last post: My 2015 Favourites ♥ http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.fr/2016/01/my-2015-favourites-fashion-makeup-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous of your trip, it looks and sounds wonderful!

    Made In The 1990s

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love italy, please Look at my new Blog: http://www.beautygossip.at
    Xo babsi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics Jenny !! Lovely Italy!


    xo

    http://www.thetrendysurfer.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Venice looks beautiful! I'd love to go in the summer and sit outside with a glass of wine watching the world go by! x

    www.wandertheworld.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Venice is such a beautiful city! It has been a few years now that I've been there, and seeing these photos makes me kinda sad and I want to go back there so badly :/ But your photos are really great! :)

    xo, Lena

    ReplyDelete