BOOK REVIEW & UNREALISTIC RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS


Slightly strange post title, I realise... let me explain. About four years ago I watched the film Captain Corelli's Mandolin and didn't think much of it, not a massive Nicolas Cage or Penelope Cruz fan to be honest. But I saw the book in Waterstones (April 2015... this review is so late) and it had a recommendation card from one of the female employees (you know the ones I mean?) basically saying it changed her life.. plus books are always better than their adaptations so I bought it. 

I AM SO GLAD I PICKED THIS BOOK UP.

Louis de Bernieres tells lot's of different stories which all intertwine to create a really deep understanding of World War Two in Greece and of the different characters personalities and lives. It is the most beautiful, moving and tragic war/romance I've ever read and I loved it for two main reasons. Reason 1; I found it really eyeopening to learn about the Greek, Albanian and Italian involvement in WWII as it's a part I'd never learnt about in school. Bernieres describes the war in such a raw, matter of fact way that you are constantly reminded similar situations like those in the story would really have happened. Reason 2; it is next level romantic and unfortunately I now expect so much from a relationship I wont ever be satisfied/happy even with the nicest of guys. I blame Carlo... he is by far my favourite character. 

I won't say anymore other than stress to those who have seen the film how different the book is. Let me know if you read it on my recommendation and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Have a lovely bank holiday weekend.

16 comments:

  1. I’m in love! This is so beautiful. Hope you have an amazing new week!

    Style For Mankind
    Facebook
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awh. You should definitely read it then and thankyou!! You too x

      Delete
  2. ill keep this book in mind!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have the same struggle with every romance book, I totally understand
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great ;-)

    xoxo
    www.its-dash.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really interesting read, and I love that fact that it also has a lot of historical information as well.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that movie was based on a book - I didn't watch the movie because it didn't really seem like my cup of tea but I think I'll go and pick up the book now! Books always ruin relationships for me too! Why can't people be perfectly romantic and speak like they have a great writer writing all their lines? ;)

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks my dear, I really think the same!

    This book seems to be super interesting. Books are always a good friends :D

    NEW REVIEW POST | Bioten Skinnergy Matifying Cream-Gel for Oily Skins.
    InstagramFacebook Oficial PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stories that are also about historical events. thanks for sharing!
    www.samanthamariko.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great!!
    I follow you now and invite you to visit my blog
    kisses

    www.justmystyle40.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete