BACK IN SALZBURG + WEEKEND IN WACHAU VALLEY


Obviously I can't get enough of Austria because for the third time this year I hopped on a plane at Gatwick to visit the beautiful country. I didn't blog about my trip in the easter break because I don't want to bore you guys with the same old stuff and most of you will have read my Salzburg post already. But this time I was whisked away for the weekend by my friend Matt to celebrate my 21st birthday and as our destination was so breathtaking I've decided to share it with you. He kept where we were going a complete surprise so I had no idea what to expect which, despite my incessant need to organise, was really exciting for me!



Observant ones of you will already know from the post title that we spent our weekend in Wachau Valley! Look how beautiful it is... and I promise the pictures don't even do the place justice!! Wachau is a UNESCO world heritage sight of natural beauty and also the most established wine region in Austria, two facts that massively pleased me! We drank our fair share.. understandably? Though we also spent lots of time cycling and exploring the area. Two pictures up you can see the Renaissance Hotel where we stayed. It was so perfectly picturesque and cute, our room was lovely and so was the town on the Danube it was in. We hired bikes from the hotel which made me exceptionally happy as since moving back to England I've really missed cycling everywhere! Especially through scenery like this! 




My favourite place in the valley we visited was Durnstein. Definitely google to see how beautiful it is as I didn't manage to get many decent pictures other than the one at the top of the post taken from the castle which overlooks the town. Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned by Leopold V in this castle during the time of the Crusades so it is very old and now a ruin, you can see part of it two pictures up. The walk up there was pretty and relaxed though so hot (potentially just for me and not Matt because I'm so unfit haha) even though the sun was setting when we went. I also really enjoyed walking round the blue church.


Wachau is know for its Smargad wines which are named after a tiny little emerald green lizard found along the sides of the Danube. They are quite uncommon according to google (researching like a good blogger!) but we saw one of the little guys! It was so cute and such a nice surprise to actually spot one after seeing lizard logos all over the place. And that really was the cherry on top of the cake for me. I had such a perfect weekend there and the rest of the week in Salzburg was equally as lovely. Can't wait until my next trip to Austria!

14 comments:

  1. thats a beautiful place
    keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are beautiful! It looks amazing here. Thanks for sharing :)

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such gorgeous photos, looks like you had an amazing time! X

    heart-autumn.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful place and pictures
    xoxo
    monchi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! Have a lovely Wednesday. :)

    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Salzburg, been there for holidays and its a lovely place! <3

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't know that! Glad you liked it x

      Delete
  7. Austria is such a beautiful place! <3 I've been there multiple times and each time I fall more and more in love with it! Vienna is definitely one of my favorite capitals in Europe.
    Beautiful and well thought out post Jenny!

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it! Me too, Vienna so beautiful. Thankyou :) x

      Delete