Two Must Read Books

It has been a while since I posted about a good book! So here are two good'ns for your lovely selves. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, complete opposites but equally as captivating. If like me, you studied Rebecca at college or school then I might have a tricky job convincing you to give this a re-read because repetitive scrutinizing can definitely ruin a book. But you should! Take a step back and appreciate the literary smoothness of Du Mauriers writing, especially the description of Manderley in the dream (my favourite part)! Rebecca is about a girl who marries a widow, the secrets she uncovers in his and his late wife's home and the pressure she feels living in the shadow of the memory of the late wife. It is exciting, sad and at times unsettling and almost disturbing. Greeeeaat combination. Very famous book, definite must read!



One Hundred Years of Solitude is another very famous book and a bit of an epic. It spans 100 years, focusing on the Beundia family and, I think is based in Colombia but that is never specified! The story hints with lots and lots of symbolism at general Latin American history so if you've read it let me know your interpretation of the location of Macondo. Anyway, the humour is dark (my favourite kind!) and the story is sad but also enlightening. Marquez incorporates fantasy/magical themes into the story which, alongside the almost historically accurate parts makes for a really interesting combination. Enough that I had to research (well... Wikipedia but still) the history of Colombia and Latin America to find out what actually happened. 

Out of the two books I prefered the latter but loved both and recommend both! And to be totally honest I only picked them up because of the beautiful covers (bet some of you guessed that already!) but aren't they amazing! Here are the links for the correct editions Rebecca One Hundred Years of Solitude

4 comments:

  1. One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books of all time! It's so beautifully written and his sentences are so unique! Great recommendations!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing!! I really want to read more Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Glad you liked them!! x

      Delete