How I Travel on a Student Budget

A lot of people (namely my parents..) wonder how I manage to travel so much with only a student loan and summer job to support me which is actually ridiculous because it's really easy! I'm just a bloody good saver. No cheeky Starbucks on my way home from uni, controlling myself as much as possible in Topshop. Falmouth actually has neither a Starbucks or Topshop so that does probably help but you catch my drift... I thought I'd share with you in a little more detail some of the other things I make a point of doing to ensure I have enough left over to explore and have fun every chance I get!


Before
I budget when my student loan arrives. Firstly working out how much money I'll have left over after paying rent and bills and then dividing it between the weeks of the year. Then I work out how much from that can be put aside each week and transfer that lump sum into another account. Preferably one without a debit card. Same principle if you receive a salary. As a student to travel I'd say a part time job is essential. We all know student loans are crap and no one really gets enough to live on. Even if it's just eight hours a week, as a 21 year old on minimum wage (£7.05 per hour) that's £2932.80 per year... loads of travelling! 

Christmas and birthday money... I save it in the bank account with no debit card. Gifted money is the fastest money you'll ever make in your life and I'm sure whoever gave it to you would love it to be spent on experiencing new places/cultures etc. 

Booking
Skyscanner is a godsend... you can compare a whole months worth of flights and choose the cheapest time to go. If you're not set on a certain location to travel you can also use the website to 'search anywhere' and they'll show you a mixture of low cost flights to a mixture of places. Generally flights are cheaper when you book in advance too. Also if you have a clubcard you can use your points on flights. Booking.com and Airbnb are great for finding really nice places to stay for decent prices. Surprisingly Airbnb isn't always cheaper and staying in a hotel is always fun so I check both. Of course if you are really budgeting, like I did on my backpacking trip from New York to Montreal, Couchsurfing is great as long as you are sensible!


During
While on holiday I tend to be less careful with budgeting as my main priority is having a good time (/Instagram). However there are a few things I do to help. I find withdrawing money while abroad rather than exchanging at home gets be a better deal, however this may vary bank to bank and some may have different charges so definitley check that. Another simple thing I do is use the public transport rather than taxis. I think you see more/take more in on a bus anyway. Lastly if there is a kitchen wherever I'm staying I'll make use of it for breakfasts unless there is a particular dish I want to try that the place is famous for.  

And that's about it to be honest. I hope some of that was a little helpful and not entirely pointless and obvious to everyone! Let me know if you have any tips/tricks as well. Hope you've had a great week x

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    I also travel a lot, but that is the main thing I spend on, I usually save a lot on the daily life and spend it well travelling as this is the way i enjoy!
    S

    ReplyDelete