The Best English Carrot Cake Recipe!

I've been doing a lot of procrastibaking recently and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon! Obviously I'm putting off sorting out my post university life because having to be a functioning adult does not appeal. So carrot cake, the answer to my millennial girl problems. This is the best recipe I have ever used. It is packed with lots of carrot, sultanas/raisins, walnuts and topped with rich cream cheese icing! I haven't included a recipe for the cream cheese icing because there are millions out there on the internet and they are all pretty similar.


450ml vegetable oil
400g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
550g sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp mixed spice
600g grated carrot
200g chopped walnuts 
200g raisins/sultanas

Preheat the oven to 170c and grease/line two cake tins. Whisk the eggs and mix with all the other ingredients then spoon the mixture into the cake tins. Bake for approximately 1h 15mins. While the cake is baking make the cream cheese icing. Let the cake cool completely before adding the icing between the layers and on top (or make two cakes half the height like I decided to do!). You can grate orange zest over the cake and add some more walnuts to decorate if you fancy! 

2 comments: